Sunday, August 28, 2011

Waiting...

Last week was the first week of pre-planning for my new year of teaching.  It was filled with meetings, trainings, visiting with colleagues and getting the classroom ready.  And believe me...I am ready!

I had really wanted to paint my classroom but the furniture is much too heavy to move and I just ran out of time, money and motivation.  So I improvised. 

Since I teach three different subjects (World History, Geography and American History) to middle and high schoolers, I wanted to have a little corner for each subject.  I did my Geography corner first.  I placed a large world map on one wall with the words, "Guess what? The world is not just you and me" framing it above and on the right side in bright colored letters. I then placed a poster map of the continents and maps of North America, South America, and Europe  along with a colorful poster of Geographic terms in a collage type of arrangement on the adjacent wall.  I stuck little globe cut outs here and there and that was done.  I will change out the posters periodically depending on what we are studying.  The little corner is colorful and not too juvenile for 7th graders.

 For  the American History corner I placed colorful posters of the Bill of Rights, a map of Indian Territories, a poster depicting scenes from the Revolutionary War and one depicting scenes from the Civil War.  I also placed little globe cut outs and some little notebook cutouts with the subject printed on them. At the top of the collage I put a poster that explains why we study history.  Not too shabby.

For the World History corner, which is on the wall opposite the American History corner,  I placed colorful posters depicting scenes from Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. This corner is not quite finished, so I need to come up with some ideas to fill it up.  Plus it is behind the door so it can only really be seen if the door is closed.  But I will figure out a way to make it look inviting.

Now, I hate blank walls and spaces and I love color.  I still had space to fill, so I placed colorful motivational posters on the other wall spaces throughout the class room.  I even put one above my desk and one above the white board that I use to illustrate lessons and post assignments.  I put up a clock, a colorful calendar, a schedule and a welcome sign on other blank wall space.  It looks really nice, even though it sounds crowded. 

By the end of the day Friday, I had finished hanging posters, had arranged student desks until I got them where I wanted them and then looked around and was satisfied.  I had a few other teachers come in and give me opinions as well.  Most said they liked the look.  One said "well, if your kids tune you out, they will have plenty to look at on the walls."  I wasn't sure if that was a compliment or an insult, but I didn't let it bother me.  I think it looks tasteful.  I have curtains to hang on the window and books shelves to arrange, but for the most part, I am finished arranging my lovely little home away from home.

My only problem now is...we have another week off before students start school and I am chomping at the bit to get them into the class room and to start teaching.  I have at least a week's worth of lesson plans completed and I should have another week or more completed this coming week, but I am anxious to start using the lesson plans instead of just writing them and waiting!  While I was "decorating" my classroom, I kept imagining the students in their seats and interaction taking place.  I..Can't..Wait!

All the while, I hear my Dad's voice saying, "Don't wish your life away."  I know that is true.  I should enjoy this last week to relax and reflect. So, I shall wait, and I shall happily greet the first day of school when it finally arrives.

Happy Tales!  

1 comment:

  1. Yay for planning and waiting. The joy you'll feel when your kids arrive will be so worth it!

    ReplyDelete